30day challenge: 10.

Day 10: Songs for when you’re happy, sad, bored, hyped, mad.


 

Music is my therapy, my saviour, the salve for my soul,

my sanity, my safe place, my green padded room,

the electrical current to jumpstart my heart,

the life raft I cling to when everything’s dark.

 

In short, without music I would have a full-blown case of the crazies.

 

Electronica is the flavour I listen to most because it’s such a broad category. It can cover everything from rage to bliss to chill to background sound to down and dirty barefoot dancing.

 

If I’m happy anything goes. If I need to get happy I’ll probably put on some Beastie Boys (always guaranteed to get me smiling), Mr Scruff, Axwell, Kraak and Smaak or this song by D*note.

 

Sadness would be a Massive Attack, Portishead, Radiohead or similar moment – something low, slow and throbby.

 

Bored is a weird one. I don’t understand bored. I’m changing this to just chilling out, which would be when I’d stream some house, or funk, or put on some chillout. Pool beats, laidback tunes, nothing too assaulting.

 

Hyped – to get hyped it needs to be fast and phat. Lots of beat and bass sprinkled with cheeky smiles, like MSTRKRFT, Prodigy, Underworld, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers.

 

Mad for me is similar to hyped – I need the musical equivalent of a punching bag. I need something to help me dump the rage, either through yelling at the top of my lungs or dancing like a crazyperson until I collapse. Karnivool, Birds of Tokyo, Prodigy, Pendulum.

 

This only scrapes the surface of my likes. If you want more there’s always my little musical playground at blip.fm I guess…

 

nnss nnss nnss.

0 comments:

Post a Comment