playing solo

I had a very funny conversation with my boss today about being an only child (she is, not me). I thought it was the saddest thing in the world that she used to play ‘Guess Who?’ by herself as a child (and then I laughed, of course; not out of cruelty – it’s just a funny image. I mean really).

 

I have one sister a few years younger than me, and when we were kids, we fought like a cat and a dog that definitely do not get along with each other. But for all that, I’m glad I have a sister. Even if we don’t catch up that often, it’s kind of comforting to know she’s out there. Oh, and my little niece rocks (hello ellajellybean).

 

I wonder what it’s like to be an only child? Is your view on the world any different? Do you perhaps approach new people in a different way? Does the idea of not having, in essence, a ‘brother in arms’ affect how you act in the world? Do parents place more expectations and pressure on an only child?

 

I’m sure there are pros and cons either way. As an only child I guess you would receive more parental attention, but would that then lead to a feeling of being stifled by authority later in life? You would learn to enjoy things done on your own, but would that lead to problems meshing with others in group situations?

 

Only children, as with firstborns, are generally seen to be the high achievers in the world, and it seems every old stereotype of the only child is slowly being disputed and proved incorrect (spoilt – no; self-indulgent – not really; maladjusted – probably not).

 

There must be more points of difference between an only child and a child with siblings though? I mean, there are whole websites dedicated to only children (eg. www.onlychild.com).

 

I guess we’ll only find out what the real effects are when a couple of generations of Chinese ‘one child policy’ children grow up and plant their footprints firmer in the world. It was introduced in 1979 so the first batch have probably just produced a second batch. Has it created a generation of maladjusted, self-centred brainiacs? Stay tuned, I guess.

 


 

And for today’s installment of bad day/good day…

 

Bad:

  • I made my tummy very sore and angry with me after feeding it three cups of coffee and lots of sugar before 10am, and then spent 10am-4pm doing impressions of Ricochet Rabbit – before crashing badly.

Good:

  • I connected with fantastic new people who work for the same company I work for, doing the same thing, but who I rarely get to see, even though we only work a few floors away from each other. Plus, it was over an amazing meal at a gold plate winning restaurant, with good wine, lots of laughter, followed by awards that recognised the achievements of our fellow peers, and it left me with a lovely red wine feeling and a smile on my face.
  • And it’s Friday tomorrow.

3 comments:

Aussie Locust | June 11, 2009 at 10:44 PM

See? It WAS worth getting out from under the doona and going to the dinner!

lilmel | June 11, 2009 at 10:58 PM

yeaaaaah (*sheepish*)

however that wine didn't do me any favours.. i have to edit this blog as it has diminished my powers of adding up.. those chinese aren't just hitting adulthood, they're verily on their way to their 30's! d'oh!

Kell Pearson | June 12, 2009 at 8:59 PM

I'm an only child Mel. Some of the stereotypes do apply to me. I've always performed well academically, and I'm a classically trained musician. I love my friends and meeting new people, and I spent a lot of time on my own growing up. But I wasn't really spoiled, my dad died when I was 3, and as I was the result of an extra-marital affair in a staunch Irish Catholic family, I was the black sheep, and put down a lot, treated like an embarrassment. Took me a long time to get over that, but now I am happy to be away from those people and I have my own little family, but I have a circle of friends who are my family and I got to choose them. I am close to one cousin, who is like a sister to me, but I am protective of my own space, and will be alone when I need to. I don't do crowds very well, and I tend to switch off when I'm done - my husband says I come across rude, but I don't mean to, I just...turn off.
So I match to the over-achiever because I had to seek something to validate myself.
I don't match to the spoiled, as I'm uncomfortable with getting gifts and would rather give them.
I'm sure my brain is a minefield of hang-ups in some way!

Post a Comment