bad day good day

I have an idea.


As I’m finished with the happy pills which kept me relatively sane over the last month, I think I should now try and create my own level-headed stability by deconstructing my days in terms of bad AND good. I have a tendency to emphasise the bad, you see.


We easily forget that both good and bad exist in equal quantities, and you can’t really have one without the other. Gibran, as always, puts it best when he writes on joy and sorrow:


The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.


Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.

-- The Prophet; Kahlil Gibran


And so, Today.



the bad


I had two moments today which made me make grindy-teeth noises.


First: occurred on the way to work at a particular merge-point which has often seen me engaging a bit of the tourette’s in the past. I don’t know why drivers have such a problem with merging in traffic. I suspect it is something to do with large egos wanting to ‘win’ in any situation.


The lanes had just merged into one, everyone was merging like a zip, and the car behind me was overlapping the back half of mine, but for some reason he sped up and started honking me. I don’t know what he expected me to do. Besides, it was obvious his only options were to let the other half of my car through, or plough into the side of me. Wot a nong. Go back to school, you fool.


Second: occurred when I got to work (mornings seem to be where the idiots cluster in my life). I received an email from someone I didn’t know, which stated “Hi Ruth, [no, not me] Can you please provide me with a quote on the following.. [etc etc]”. It was not from the company I’m employed to solely look after, so I dutifully replied, “Hello, I think this has been sent to the wrong address. My name is Mel. Regards [etc etc]”.


She replied “I sent this email to the following address [insert totally wrong address here.co.nz]. Is this not the Ruth I spoke to yesterday? I need you to provide me with this quote ASAP.”


Idiot. How can you not see the address of a received email and figure out that it is TOTALLY different to the one you are trying to send to, including the freaking country? I also don’t know how “My name is Mel” could be so misinterpreted. I’m still trying to work it out. And don’t even get me started on ASAP. Any time I see it, I want to automatically add IM in front of it.




The good


Gosh, this is hard…


First: I got to leave work early (well, on time) which was an accomplishment, because I was bombarded after lunch and started to drown somewhat. It was joyous.


Second: Umm… I’m glad I’m not Ruth?




See? Obviously more work required in the area of equal-weight.

1 comments:

Smoph | June 10, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I bet Ruth wishes she wasn't Ruth, having to deal with rudeness like that. How about.. you're healthy and added new friends to Facebook? :D

Post a Comment