when will i take my own advice?

Seems I can give pretty good advice to others, just not to myself.

 

I just spent the last three hours convincing someone that something in their life was obviously not working, and trying to give them the strength and motivation to fix it. Do something about it and fix it. Just do it. Be brave. Take the step. Think of the positives. Think of yourself, your happiness. Time to be selfish. Make it happen. It’s hard, but you can do it. And here’s how you can start: try this, or this, or maybe this.

 

Why is it I can see so clearly what others need to do, and not myself, eh? Why can I life-coach others into making changes for the better, and not myself?

 

I have such clarity with others, but when it comes to me, it’s all fog and sandstorms. It’s all too hard. It seems I neglect myself. It seems I use myself as a warning to others. Take it from me, you don’t want to let it get to that. You need to try and do something about it before you let it get to that. Something I may have told myself, and ignored, on many occasions.

 

It is a strange phenomenon I’ve noticed more and more. When someone else needs help, the counselling issues forth from me, from god knows where. If I happen to step to one side and listen to myself talking, I suddenly realise “hey, that’s good advice. Where was advice like that when I needed it?”

 

‘Tis a great irony, no doubt.

1 comments:

Smoph | June 14, 2009 at 8:11 PM

It just doesn't work like that, does it? I know what to do in these situations. It's just convincing yourself to listen.

Post a Comment