rant (or, the philosophy of STFU)

Ok. I started writing a different post but I have had to put it on hold because I can't freaking concentrate! The reason? I forgot my earplugs today. I am forced to listen to the crap conversations going on around me and they are driving me insane.
 
All of this noise is drawing my mind away from itself and into conversations about farting on things, and shopping lists, and what someone did this morning on their walk, and what they did last night, and what they're going to do for lunch (what do you think maybe a chicken wrap or should i just cut up the steak i have in the fridge and make a steak salad?). I really, really, and make sure yunnerstand this, don't give a toss.
 
So many egos trying to clamber for top spot that everyone gets louder and louder with their talking, trying to talk over everyone else. So much "look at me. laugh at me. admire my wit." It's driving me so crazy I can't concentrate on anything. I am boiling like a cauldron about to spill over. I can't hold anything in my head.
 
I have to listen to the exploits of people I don't know and from the sound of it don't want to know. Blow by blow descriptions of tv shows full of more crap that I didn't watch for a reason. Words repeating over and over! Now it's a conversation about grug. All I can hear is grug grug grug.
 
(do you know grug? who? do you remember grug? grug? yeah grug. no. well google grug and tell me if you remember grug. it was the best show ever. no i don't remember grug. but it was the best! no, i don't know grug. jo, surely you’ve heard of grug. what? grug? yeah grug. no, never heard of it. ask bob. bob, do you know grug? what? do i know what? grug. grubs? no, grug! the tv show! grug? yeah. nope. hey i feel like potato cakes. nunnoh they're called potato scallops here. you don't sell them as potato cakes they're potato scallops. but the fish and chip shop across the road from me sells them as potato cakes. but i worked in five fish and chip shops and they're potato scallops. are they? yeah they’re scallops. yeah scallops. see jonno agrees. i'll ring dave and ask him. ok. i'm gonna go find someone who's heard of grug)
And on, and on, and on, and shoot me now. Quick, before I have to listen to anymore of the one-sided convos.
 
(yeah, the boys. what? you know. do you want me to get some spinach onna way home? or do you wanna do the fried rice thing. yeah. so, two noodles? no no. ok. so i get two noodles? yep. yep. yep. three. yeah. nah. yeah. but you can have steamed rice. i think there's steamed rice. i don't know. so i'll get the three. ok. yeah. nah nah. so... two noodles. what? nah she's got a thing with that guy. huh? lasagne? no don't worry about lasagne. like vegetables?)
 
Oh for the love of god.
 
What makes us do this to each other? Do I do this and I've just never noticed before? Do I talk crap about nothing on and on to my friends, trying to entertain them, just trying to inflate the air around me?
 
If you're talking, you're not listening. We don't listen to each other enough. Probably because, going by what I'm hearing right now, if we did, we'd be bored shitless.
 
How the hell are some people able to screen this out? How can I choose not to hear? How can I develop such precision focus to enable me to turn my ears on and off at my command? More investigation required, obviously.
 
It's at times like these I'm almost kiss-the-ground thankful for introverts.
 
Ok. End rant.

0 comments:

Post a Comment