fame, ergo, ego

So much noise! So much chatter! So much ego! The ego has to be the loudest thing on the planet. It screams from everywhere, in every language, through every form of media. Mine screams in here. How can it not? Nasty little parasite it is.
 
Even those who begin a life in the spotlight seemingly ego-free, manage to fall victim to it. I speak of Susan Boyle, the so-called 'scottish singing sensation' who has failed to move me even slightly with her singing or her story. I don't know why; I surmised it must have been because I was a cold hearted b-dog. Everyone around me spoke of weeping, of the joyous rapture moving within them when she opened her mouth. The only thing moving with me, was me, out of the room.
 
Maybe I exaggerate. I'm happy she's found her voice, good on her, and for a voice, it aint bad if you like that sort of thing. I'm just over the exposure she's receiving because seriously, it's just totally over the top. That and the eyebrows. The eyebrows scare me, truth be told.
 
It seems now she's had a potty-mouthed paddy over a 12-year old boy being given praise on a semi-final of Britain's Got Talent. She has found her ego, and its ever growing presence is demanding more room. Ego no want share space.
 
Of course, the spin doctors are doing their finest wheeling and spinning, and as it always is with fluff stories, we never know the full truth, but if it is true, I do feel sorry for her. She finds herself thrust into the public domain within an astonishingly short period of time. She doesn't really seem well equipped for it. Her ego, which may have previously been in the back seat, has now become a back seat driver.
 
Such is the pendulum of life: after being too far one way, you swing too far in the other direction. It's a lesson, no doubt. If you let your ego rule your life, you lose your essence. Here's thanking the scottish singing sensation for reminding me.

2 comments:

Kell Pearson | May 28, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Wise words, and very well written Mel. I wonder how much of it is true? I had her pegged as a squeaky clean church type to be quite honest, little stereotyper that I am, :(

Smoph | May 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM

I suppose ego is just like everything else. It's also about a balance. You want enough ego to be confident but little enough to have humility.

That being said, my pseudo-ego puts so many people to shame.

Post a Comment